Thread: News Article: Who is the Rangers #1D?
View Single Post
Old
08-02-2013, 11:57 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
We talked about this, though.

MDZ has points because he has received an unprecedented amount of first team PP minutes in his career.

McDonaghis clearly the best Ranegrs defenseman,but Girardi is the most important because we have two first pairing guys who can play the left, and only one who can play the right. MDZ and Stralman are both 2nd pairing quality.

I think Moore is already a better all-around defenseman than Del Zotto is. And I think he will continue to get better.
That is where I am--though I'd rank McDonagh over Girardi but partly that is because if any Rangers d-man has a shot someday of winning a Norris it's McDonagh. Some reason when we argue about left wings and right wings people seem to understand the differences and the potential problems with switching someone to an off wing but when it comes to defense--it's just lets get rid of the older not so flashy guy to make room on his off side for the younger flashier one. Girardi in his way is an extremely valuable commodity. He's not the fastest player--or the most offensively creative player--but you can stick him out against other teams best players--including elite ones and he much more often than not holds his own. 25-30 minutes night after night--plays physical, blocks tons of shots and is a mainstay on the pk and does not take a lot of penalties doing all that which if nothing else tells you he's sound positionally and disciplined and puts up 25-30 points a year. There are not that many good right side defenseman. Find a replacement near to where his game is now would be really difficult and very costly. Noticed on this elimination game that Dan has the least amount of points of all Rangers D--including Del Zotto, Stralman, Moore--which shows pretty much the lack of respect his game gets around here.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote