View Single Post
08-02-2013, 03:10 PM
4 Pascal Dupuis'
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
As a unit, our defense is just about as good as Chicago's at either end of the ice. The issue is our defense is much worse at doing both at the same time. They can either play shutdown defense, or they can support the forwards. Chicago's can play good defense and then still support the forwards up the ice. This was the main part of why I didn't really want to spend money on Scuderi. He's a really good player, so I'm still happy he's here. But he adds to the side of our defense that I thought we were quite good at when it mattered, but brings practically nothing on the side where our defense struggled. He's obviously an upgrade, I just don't think it was the best position to look for an upgrade.
The impact Scuderi will have on Letang will be profound, and will allow him to take that next step. When you look at Letang's season last year (aside from the Boston series, of course) his ability to be dominant offensively combined with the same +/- as guys like Keith and Seabrook, while being paired with nitwits, and being the least penalized D in the league with his minutes, was incredibly impressive. But the guy can't do everything against the best teams in the league.

Combine that with Martin's usual play, and add a more experienced Depres on our 3rd pairing, and you will have arguably better offensive zone D presence than Chicago, as well as better physicality and D zone play.

To get the most out of our top flight forwards, we need a dominant PMD on each pairing, and we'll be much closer to that this year.

It's really going to be fun to watch, and if we can add one nice piece like a Kulemin to our bottom 6, I think we'll be in great shape come playoff time.

Aiastelmon is offline   Reply With Quote