View Single Post
Old
08-04-2013, 09:17 AM
ChesterNimitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

Subban is a player who is very strong on his skates and is very agile. He really isn't that explosive however as he generally uses his upperbody to shield himself in order to gain separation. He plays the game fast though as he is always pushing the pace and he likes to handle the puck at top speed which is v ery impressive to watch but it doesn't necessarily make him fast. Don't get me wrong, I think Subban is a great skater but I have seen him lose many races to speedy forwards, fortunately he hangs in well enough to get back and take away their space.
This is a very perceptive analysis. Subban is a very strong skater, who has great lateral skating ability; good closing speed; excellent agility but only above average straight line speed. If you watch him closely, he can only generate those end to end rushes when he winds up and gathers speed by circling the net and gaining momentum as he enters the neutral ice area. He uses his great lateral skating ability to beat forecheckers and opposing defencemen on the rush. Make no mistake about it, Subban is a great player, but to view him as the fastest player on the team, is not seeing the reality.

ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote