View Single Post
Old
08-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
two losses to Cze in a row. hasn't happened in a while, I am waiting for the SuperSeries for final judgement. Even though, with every game under this coach I get more and more disinchanted.
With the likely absence of Grigorenko and Nichushkin, prospects for a Gold Medal look slim indeed! Even winning a medal might be too much to ask, with the US, Canada and the host team Sweden all likely to field very strong teams, and Finland and the Czechs not far behind. Obviously, coaching has been a glaring weakness for the Russian team in this tournament for many years, along with defense. By all accounts, Varnakov did an abysmal job in Ufa, but I suppose he has been retained by cronyism, under the guise of establishing "continuity" for the team.

Canada is also beset with coaching problems in this tournament, which is why they brought back Brent Sutter in the hopes of recapturing the glory of the 2005 and 2006 teams. A coaching matchup between Sutter and Mikhail Varnakov has to look scary for Russia. On a side note, it will be interesting to see if Sutter, who had a mediocre experience as an NHL head coach, can still deliver the magic.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote