View Single Post
08-05-2013, 11:27 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The math can still work. I demonstrated how you could fit a roster under a $68m cap for next season, including Girardi getting $5.5m and Callahan getting $5.7m, on the first page in this thread.

The real question is whether or not we can keep our RFAs in line and retain the UFAs, but a lot of that is going to depend on how players play. If DZ establishes himself as a top PP player and maintains his decent level at even strength, he'll get more than the $3.5m I put down. John Moore and Derick Brassard are other possibilities of players who might earn bigger raises than I've given them. However, it's probably only off by about $500k-$1m for each one if they exceed my expectations. If the cap gets over $70m, we could still end up with a complete roster and sign Girardi at $5.5m.

All of that being said, we've known for a while now that they aren't going to be able to keep all of our defensemen indefinitely. Just imagine how much more difficult this problem would be if we hadn't traded Tyutin. All I know is that, if the choice is between giving Girardi $5.5m and having to deal Staal, I'd much rather do that than lose Girardi for nothing and keep Staal, even though I think Staal is a better defenseman.
I really like Girardi. I thought his 2010 contract was an excellent contract for the Rangers. Most of the people here thought it was ridiculous. Girardi is not worth $5M-$5.5M because Calgary gave Wideman crazy money or TB gave Carle $5.5M. Those contracts were mistakes from the moment they were announced. Even Bouwmeester at $5.4M. He took a paycut from his current contract. Don't repeat other teams mistakes. Tyutin has an AAV of $4.5M. Girardi is worth a deal in that range.