View Single Post
Old
08-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Do you think he might be salvageable if he comes to North America after a season in Denmark? I think Jannik Hansen actually played one season in Denmark after his draft year, though I believe he was a year younger than Spelling would be.
I didn't see a second of Spelling last season, he played at obscure places. I of course don't "know", but to put it like this, if we look at what route a kid normally takes to make it Spelling is doing the complete opposite. And when it comes to a kid like Spelling, we are looking at maybe 1 of 15 making it. If even that. With Spelling going 180 in the wrong direction as the "1" who makes it normally goes.

The normal route would maybe be:
1 y after being drafted -- A very promising showing in the SEL, while maybe not putting a ton of pts on the board.
2-3 y after being drafetd -- Climbing up into a strong top 2 line role in the SEL.
3-5 y after being drafted -- Star in the SEL, or adopting very well to the NA game in the AHL. Getting his feet wet in the NHL.

There are examples of kids taking a long road to the NHL. Nobody heard of Johan Franzen when he was the age Spelling is now. Franzen played 5th tier hockey when he was 20 y/o. I played two divisions higher than him at that age. The 5 tier level in Sweden is a mix of a beer league + young kids that doesn't make it in the U20 league. Franzen in 10 games that year scored 23+2 (!) for 25 pts in 10 games which is pretty awsome and in a hurry went to the 2nd tier league and then the SEL. But it shows that nothing is never certain.

But its certainly a very bad sign...