View Single Post
Old
08-06-2013, 10:01 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
We didn't have the resources to keep a guy like, say, Lecavalier in our early years, and we would have traded such a talent once he reached a certain point where it was no longer financially viable to retain his services. That changed dramatically once the salary cap came into play.

But you're right. People want to compare us to Boston and Los Angeles and talk about how those teams are built on balance and depth, but the problem is their three or four or even five best forwards are better than any forward on our team. They simply have more firepower to put to work. It'll take a combination of extremely good coaching, near-perfect defense, and a little dumb luck to make it past those teams with what we have at present. If Forsberg and Wilson both develop on what they've shown thus far, we're two-thirds of the way to having a quality top line that we can retain and manage for the next 10 years.
I looked at numbers and it's not that we don't have the top end talent it's we don't have enough support talent behind OUR top talent. If we truly could run three second lines, like I think Poile is trying to do, it could work but we've never had the depth to field a top 9 per se. The reason Boston and LA do well is their top end talent coupled with a good third line that chips in as well. While we don't have the top end talent, it could work if we have a top 9 that all produce. It's hard to shut down 3 lines on a nightly basis.

I'd love to add some top end talent and maybe Wilson and Forsberg in time will become two of those pieces. If they do and one or two of the other young kids develop, we should be fine. I really like what's coming through the pipeline offensively. Lots of diversity in our forwards which is good.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote