Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
They had the dmen in this order:
Morin
Mueller
Zadorov
Nurse
Risto
Morrisey

They had Morin 6th overall...ahead of ****ing Monahan.
Not that far fetched. As Patterson (and I ) said before the draft, Morin has the highest upside in the draft. He may reach it, he may not, but it's too much to ignore. Monahan is a "what you see is what you get" player. Solid, unspectacular, two-way pivot who's closer to #2 center than #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
It seems that they didn't not like Ristolainen as much as Mueller, which is sort of bizarre to me.
It's not that bizarre the more you think about it. The Ristolainen hype on this board got a little over the top. I don't know whether it's the unknown factor of him being a European or proximity to the NHL or what.

In a draft with a lot of big, mobile defenseman, Mueller might have more upside than every defenseman sans maybe Jones, Morin, and Nurse. He's far less physical and aggressive than Morin, which is probably why swung Morin ahead of him on the final board. He does however have more present offensive ability which is probably what made it close in the first place. The big knock on Nurse before the draft was his presumed IQ and Flyers' scouts seemed to concur with that and obviously value that pretty highly. Mueller is noted for being a very smart player.

From my limited viewings of Mueller, he's got all the physical tools you look for in a defender. Long, rangy, great skater, good hands, and instincts. Shot could use a little work, but once he fills out that should improve. He obviously needs to add bulk and as a result will take some time to develop. The only question I had with Mueller was his assertiveness/aggressiveness. Maybe it was because he was adjusting to the NA game, but he just seemed to play a laid back kind of game. That said he's a really good looking two-way defenseman. He could be one of those guys you look back on and wonder why he didn't get picked sooner.

On a side note, not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I agreed with much of the Flyers' rankings and assessments of players.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote