Old
08-07-2013, 08:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
One of the best things that happened was him getting traded to Ottawa. One of THE most overrated players on this board alltime. I get the "local boy" thing... But some people think he's the 2nd coming of something or other (JVR?).

Matt Reads name gets thrown into a lot of trade proposals. In his 2 years in the NHL Read scored SEVEN less goals than Ryan, while playing a good all around game with tremendous speed on various lines with various players, none named Getzlaf and Perry. And at about 1/6 the caphit.

Does hailing from Ilderton really matter that much?
Ryan is not overrated. He didn't have a great year in this shortened season, but over his first four full seasons he has scored 30+ goals in each one. Unless you think this past half season is more indicative of his talent than his career as a whole, Matt Read and Bobby Ryan are not on the same level. Matt Read is good, for sure. But he's not as good as Bobby Ryan. His seven less goals over the last two years is nice, but you don't just ignore Bobby Ryan's other three years in the league.

The local thing gets overblown alot, I agree with that. People think he's coming here because he's from here, which is silly. But I don't think his talent is overrated.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote