View Single Post
Old
08-08-2013, 07:52 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think people over associate youth with being better. Like I said, I don't think it is fair to predict that anyone (other than Laughton, and that's a stretch, whom I have said I would prefer over Gagne, but don't think the Flyers are planning to move him to wing...which I obviously could be wrong on) of the other options will put up the points Gagne would and play as well defensively. And these guys are not blue chip prospects being blocked by Gagne, these are guys that at best will be career third liners (maybe Straka has a brighter future, but the jury is still out on that).

No one is expecting Gagne to score 40 again. But if he gets 40 total points, which I think is right around where he'd wind up (or at least on that pace if he gets injured), it would be a win. Yes he is injury prone, and if he is on a one year deal and gets injured, it is not an issue at all because the Flyers have the depth to throw out a young guy to attempt to fill that role. I also don't think the price difference is going to be an issue. I can't imagine the Flyers going higher than $2.5 mil at the absolutely most, which I don't think they'll do. If he fits under the cap, what's the issue? I wouldn't trade someone (other than Mez) as a salary dump to make room for Gagne.

With the young guys you don't know what you are getting, other than you know you are likely not going to get the production and defense Gagne will give you. Guys are going to get injured, whether it is Gagne, Read, Schenn, Giroux, whomever...the young guys will have a shot to play. And these guys aren't going anywhere. If Gagne plays the full 82 and McGinn, Akeson, and Straka are stuck in the AHL for another year, I don't think anyone is going to point to this year as the reason they aren't what they could be.
I agree. We NEED wingers. these younger guys are not blue chips and people seem to think we can just keep shifting all these centers to wing and it'll be fine. natural centers moving to wing have positioning problems as briere seemed to and he's one of the better ones. They want that puck and think they can get away with moving in and out of their lanes but you pay for that in the NHL as we did defensively over the last couple years. Sometimes taking these guys out of their comfort zone is detrimental at this level regardless of the common excuse that it doesn't matter because their professionals. There's no question if gagne is healthy he's an asset and an upgrade to youth because of his all around game.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote