View Single Post
Old
08-09-2013, 05:49 AM
dcyhabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Good ol' Turner Stevenson...right in the middle of the Seattle fascination...a sorry time in team draft history. Vallis, Bilodeau, Stevenson three years in a row.. What was even worse was that it was reported in the Hockey News ahead of time that the Habs were going to take Stevenson..it was well known throughout hockey who the team was choosing two months before the draft.

The Habs followed the "Seattle trifecta" with Wilkie, Ryan and Higgins. The Habs' western scouts in the 90's are the largest reason why the Habs haven't had a sniff at winning the Cup since 1993....six out of 8 years between 1989 and 1996 the team selected WHLers in the first round who were essentially busts - with the possible exception of Turner. If that had occurred in the past dozen years during the internet age - the team would have gone through six head scouts due to multiple mob lynchings.

McCarron didn't hurt his chances at this tournament I don't think. He used his size some and had a few points. Thankfully he skates way better than Turner...who never lived up to his given name - he "Turned" like a battleship.

I know WS..back to my book.
IIRC Wilkie only busted because he blew out his knee. Most of those other picks were incomprehensible.