View Single Post
Old
08-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Odd, this Joel Ward plug I recall had the same number of points as Hemsky last year in only one game more, with less ice time, playing on the penalty kill instead of the power play. If anything, between these two, Ales Hemsky is the plug. There is literally no objective argument to be made that says Ales Hemsky was a bigger contributor to his team last year than Joel Ward.

Ales Hemsky fills a redundant role on the team: small, skilled winger. The team needs toughness and penalty killing, which guys like Nystrom bring in bunches. Ales Hemsky in a 1v1 hockey game might be better than Nystrom, but Nystrom+LaPierre+Mueller or whatever is a better fit for our bottom 6 than Hemsky+Lander+Smyth. I'd much rather we overpay guys who know their role like Nystrom, Gordon, Prust, and Malhotra than overpay players with a sense of entitlement like Hemsky and over the hill players like Smyth.
Had a good lockout year, that's great. Joel Ward also put up 18 points in 73 games last year, so he definitely is the inconsistent type. Ward also wasn't playing with a broken foot. Ward's career year is Hemsky's off year.

I wouldn't say Hemsky has any sense of entitlement whatsoever, that seems like a biased statement, and there is still a way to have Hemsky and still fit role players like you mentioned.
Smyth 2.25M
Grebeshkov 1.5M
N. Schultz 3.5M

7.25M right there that really shouldn't be there. That 7.25M could have been used towards getting a 3rd line LW and adding a depth C.