View Single Post
Old
08-11-2013, 07:42 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIM View Post
This is something that makes sense. Stralman has untapped offensive upside, sure, but he's a defenseman, which is something DZ needs to remember. DZ got skated around like a pylon consistently in the playoffs, and it's not something he only struggles with in high pressure situations. He's an incomplete art project with the *potential* offensive ability. I could overlook his defensive deficiencies if he was as offensively ept as guys like Subban or Letang, but he doesn't have anything close to that upside. His demonstrated skill and production should have made that obvious by now. (inb4 let's blame Torts for offensive woes- Gabs scored 40 twice, and Cally put up 29 in 2012, just as quick examples.)

Moore is a kid. Yes, he has potential. Yes, he has size. Yes, he can skate. But he still has yet to put it all together, and he has plenty of time to grow.

Stralman has been a consistent second pairing defenseman for us. He plays smart, he plays hard, he knows where to be. He doesn't make egregious errors. I struggle to see any valid argument for Stralman being less valuable to the team in its current state than Deezy or Moore.
Tortorella before his ouster seemed bent on grooming Moore into McDonagh redux. Moore didn't quite get the assignments that McDonagh did but it was almost eerie (if you weren't noticing that) how Moore reminded you of McDonagh. The size, the speed, the positional play, the movement of the puck off of his stick. Moore needs to build on that. Just guessing but as of now Falk and McIlrath seem to be the only realistic players who have any chance of keeping Moore out of the top 6. It appears to me that Moore's minor league days are over.

I agree with your assessment of Del Zotto. He is not great in his own end. He usually is okay. Size and strength are both issues for him. His skating sometimes seems on the slow side. People talk of him as a 40 point player but he's only actually done that one time. Sometimes I wonder if he's already plateaued. He needs to get to at least 50 points. 40 points is just not enough for your top pwp point man.

Stralman has become a steady guy. A gamer with good skills who can skate and pass. That's why he's become a top 4 d-man.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote