View Single Post
Old
08-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I recall a very rare interview that Sather gave to Mike & the Mad dog in 2003 or 04' Mike pressed him on the farm system & prospects & Sather who was clearly annoyed replied, "look when I got here there was nothing here, nothing at all." Sather started from scratch. All the complaining about how he bought this one & over paid for that one & allowed Messier to run wild is 20/20 vision in hindsight.

If you followed the team closely back than it was pretty obvious what was going on. I think nwe would have had more sucess early on if we had picked up Jagr in 01' instead of Lindros. Lindros gave it his all when he was here & I came to respect him as a player on the Rangers but, he was a shell of what he once was.
The Rangers roster construction was awful at that time. Just awful. And you know what? There was still nothing there by the time Sather gave that annoyed answer in an interview. By the time the firesale came, the farm system was just as bad as, if not worse than, it was when Sather arrived.

It wasn't so much that his individual moves were such a big problem. I mean, Bouchard, Fata, Samuelsson for Kovalev? Do it every time. Ulanov, Novak and a 1st for Bure? Do it every time. The problem is that there was no roster plan. There was no system. There was no accountability. There was no player development. It isn't about the individual moves, or the individual players he brought in, as much as Bobby Holik was never going to be a first line solution. In the right environment, every one of those moves should have been good. The organization was a complete disaster. It wasn't until Sather started surrounding himself with quality people that the team turned around.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote