Thread: Sather Speaks
View Single Post
Old
08-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Why did the Thrashers keep Kovalchuk when the team was absolutely awful? Or going back further, why did the Senators keep Yashin for as long as they did? You still need to have someone who will bring people into the arena, even if you're rebuilding.

Also, I'm not sure Sather liked the optics of acquiring Jagr after so much drama and then trading him so quickly afterwards. I don't think Sather really planned on 05-06 going so well either. Guys like Straka and Rucinsky were brought in specifically to make Jagr more comfortable through what we all thought would be a very bumpy ride.

The Czech chemistry, plus Nylander, and the emergence of Lundqvist changed all of that. I also really think there's a pretty direct correlation between the overachievement of that season and the Gomez and Drury signings.
For me, a "true rebuild" is starting from scratch and being prepared to take your lumps. Retaining Jagr was a hedge -- just another example of not being able to fully commit to a direction.

I agree with everything else you said - as soon as Sather felt some sort of semblance of success, he proceeded to make some of the worst free agent signings in the history of the game. Some rebuild.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote