Thread: Prospect Info: Flyers actual 2013 draft rankings
View Single Post
Old
08-12-2013, 08:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haanz View Post
If that's the case, then it's interesting that the Flyers did not stick strictly to their list. There's no way the players taken with the first 71 picks were all in the top 71 on the Flyers' list. It must have been one of those on-the-spot decisions where they decided they simply liked him more than some of the players they had ranked higher on their list.
They had both Jimmy Lodge & Oliver Bjorkstrand as second round grades (same as most public scouting services) on their board, both were selected after the Goulbourne pick. They either didn't want to go upside with the pick or they wanted to go with the safer route of just getting an eventual NHL player even with very limited upside. I guess Mark Greig (WHL Scout) really pushed for this one.

I don't agree with the pick but I'm not going to cry about it. I would have went with the upside personally but I really think the Rinaldo comparison is a little off base when it comes to Goulbourne as pointed out by others here.

He already plays the PK for Kelowna & is a pretty good skater from what I could see. He racked up 135 PIM last year but 95 of them were fighting majors (19 fights) so he doesn't seem as much of loose cannon as Rinaldo was at that age.

If he reaches the NHL & becomes a Brandon Prust type of player I would call it a success.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote