08-13-2013, 08:38 AM
crasherino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
3.5 per, 6 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
i would offer this. could he get more elsewhere? i believe so, but i would peg his value at no more than $4 per.

the Isles definitely have need for him, for a few years at least. his experience is valuable, but the Isles are lacking in grit on D, so....

while not be the best idea to slot a youngster in his place (DeHaan, Donovan, etc...), there is also the possibility that one of the kids can exceed what AM is doing, for cheaper. not that cap space is an issue, but 'homegrown' and 'budget' seem to be the key words in Snow's long term plan. the 'kids' will be 23 and 24 in 2014, and are high draft picks. not really kids anymore.

a lot will depend on how Donovan and DeHaan play this year. and wildcards Reinhart, Mayfield, and Pedan. and wilder-cards, Dalhuesin (sp?), Pokka, Pelech and Pulock.
Assuming he at least matches his past performance, he will undoubtedly get more on the open market - probably around 5yr/$25m. If we peg his value at $3.5m - $4m (which I think is right) all you need is a team that really needs a lot of minutes from a dependable dman. Throw in the fact that there will be some cap space and AMac is only 26, $5m/yr is quite plausible.

The Isles may be in a pickle come FA time. The young wave of Dmen won't be fully ready by 14' and thats when they have to make a decision on Amac. He may be expendable - assuming Reinhart, Pulock, Donovan, Pokka, Pelech, etc. are the real deal. But we won't fully know that until 15' or even 16'. Ideally the Isles would have him for one extra year so they can decide whether they want/need him - but that's not reality.

Assuming there's no regression or significant injury, he'll be offered far more on the open market than the NYI will be willing to pay him. JMO.

crasherino is online now   Reply With Quote