Thread: Confirmed with Link: Couturier Re-signed 2 years 1.75M AAV
View Single Post
08-13-2013, 05:46 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
His two most common linemates last year at 5 v 5 were Talbot 34% and Read 32%.

Bringing in Lecavalier and Streit only bump him down further on the PP list yet does nothing to help him get more offensive zone starts at ES. If anything, it cements him into having to do all the defensive lifting at forward. And while his S% might go up, his PDO numbers and On-Ice S% numbers aren't really out of whack with the rest of the team. As much as I like Lecavalier and think he here on a decent contract, I believe it's going to stunt Couturier's offensive growth next season.
Great points. I can't disagree at all that Vinny could stun Cout's growth. He clearly won't be asked to play 2nd line center.

I still believe, though, that Couts can produce offense in his 3rd line C role. Yes Read and Talbot were his most used linemates; but Read was injured at the end of February with a rib injury that was supposed to take 6 weeks to heal. He came back in 2 and probably shouldn't have because he was a completely different player after that. He had 7 goals and 13 points through 18 games before he got hurt. Then he fell off to the tune of 4 goals and 11 points over the next 24. Talbot got hurt later himself, and is not an offensive player (despite his season 2 years ago).

I just really believe that if Couts played with Read and Gagne (or something similar) for a full year, he'd put up better numbers, even while maintaining his defensive role.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote