Thread: Sather Speaks
View Single Post
Old
08-14-2013, 04:13 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
I'm not condoning Sather's stint as the GM of the NYR, but I'm seeing some poster seemingly insinuating that the Nash trade was a bad one which is ridiculous to me.

The 2012-13 New York Rangers would not have made the playoffs had they not done that trade. The decline primarily stemmed from poor shooting luck and the surprising sharp decline of play from Richards and Gaborik.

The two trades with Columbus is a big net plus for the Rangers IMO.
Not necessarily so. How do you explain Rangers team the year before Nash was first in the East? The Nash trade cost the Rangers a lot in terms of depth especially at forward which wasn't finally addressed until we traded away Gaborik. The Rangers lost 4 key penalty killers in one off season--Dubinsky, Anisimov, Prust, Fedotenko all of whom added something to the offense and to other areas--they replaced them with guys who weren't as well rounded and who added virtually nothing to the offense. The way I look at is the second trade with Columbus corrected to a large degree the problems that the first trade helped to create.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote