View Single Post
Old
08-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It happens every year.

Why does Hemsky have to be either playing poorly or very well?You are making it sound like it's either one or the other.

Why can't it be he's playing decent, but we don't need him and have holes else where?

I also question why Hemsky's value is so much less than the past few years. The guy has the same question marks as he did before. The only thing that would really hurt is if we find out that the cap is going down for 14-15. He's been fraction on the dollar since 08-09.
You're not going to get me to say that there is no circumstance under which Hemsky could be dealt at Christmas or any time of the year. And of course there is a grey area between poorly and well. But really what difference does it make. It is very unlikely that a team targets a soon to be UFA, with a history of injuries, with a cap hit of $5M, and a salary of $5.5M, at Christmas if he is only playing decently, unless the cost is a bag of pucks.

Going back to the 2007-2008 season here are the trades of any substance that took place from Nov 15 through Jan 15.

2007-2008

To St.L.: Andy McDonald
To Anaheim: Doug Weight, 7th, Michal Birner

(Anaheim had to do this to be cap compliant)

2008-2009

To Toronto: Lee Stempniak
To St.L.: Carlo Coliacovo, Alex Steen

2009-2010

To Montreal: Benoit Pouliot
To Minesota: Guillaume Latendresse

2010-2011

To NYR: Wojtek Wolski
To Phoenix: Michal Roszival

To Montreal: James Wisniewski
To NYI: 2nd, conditional 5th

To Wash: Scott Hannan
To Col: Tomas Fleischmann

2011-2012

To Phoenix: David Rundblad, 2nd
TO Ottawa: Kyle Turris

To Montreal: Tomas Kaberle
To Carolina: Jaroslav Spacek

Last year is a different situation since the season started in January. Of these there might be three or possibly four that could fit the Hemsky situation. None of those would be particularly inspiring. And it will be tougher to make such trades this year with about 20 teams being a few million off the cap.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/...ason/2012-13/1

So could he be traded for a decent return. Of course. But I don't like the chances of it happening.