Thread: Speculation: Lundqvist to be best paid player?
View Single Post
Old
08-14-2013, 07:31 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Some might see it through the players eyes, after all the players are the ones who give the jersey the extra touch of either pride or embarrassment. Rozsival just won the Cup in our face.

For example, I wasn't happy MESSIER WASN'T PAID WHAT HE SHOULD'VE BEEN PAID. He was right to leave over the insult and brush over to the name that didn't win us the Cup. As would Henrik(with or without Cup#EDDIE), and losing this guy would be the ****ing death of us (Us that require our 82 x 60 minute fix though we may never win again by our luck). Every game I wonder how the hell he does it. He doesn't have an offnight, the guys in front of him just get that much worse. I'll argue that all day. We'd all be completely miserable if it weren't for him. We would've had another almost-decade of losing to New Jersey. As what happened when Messier left.
But he did get paid. Had there not been a lockout he was set to hold out past the home opener. The Rangers made him the Highest paid player in the league for 3 years after the cup.

They made him a very FAIR offer for an obviously declining player that was equal to what a better player was making in Gretzky.

Messier, in obvious decline, wanted to continue getting paid elite level money when he was no longer an elite level player.

regarding the last statement, Messier staying would NOT have prevented the losing that happened. That was going to happen anyway. The team was old and in decline. Messier didn't do anything for the Canucks, he wouldn't have helped the Rangers either.

As for Hank, you don't look to replace Hank. You look to get a goalie that is solid and you use the 3-5 million in savings to improve other areas.

the most successful teams over the last 20-30 years did not have the goalie as their best and most highest paid players.

Yes there are a few outliers such as Marty, Roy and Hasek, but for each of those guys there are the Howards, Osgoods, MA Fleury's and Wards as well.

Lundqvist at more than 7.5 per is a mistake.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote