Thread: Sather Speaks
View Single Post
Old
08-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Chief

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Rebuilding teams who are trying to stay competitive at the same time do. Teams can have two goals at the same time. I don't think Sather laid it out as a 7-year plan, but if you look at the makeup of our rosters post-Jagr, they're a lot more homegrown than they had been. And that's only possible because the system was rebuilt and was producing NHL quality players, although not many top end guys., admittedly.
What you're referring to as rebuilding, I would call draft picks working out. Had Brendl and Lundmark lived up to draft day expectations or Falardeau, Jonasen or any number of other draft busts panned out and become NHL contributors, then you could argue the Rangers were rebuilding back then just as easily. The signing of Jagr and his Czech Posse after the lockout was a quick fix that worked and after them you still had off seasons where more than one big ticket free agent was brought in and I have a hard time calling those seasons part of a rebuild. In the end what we finally have is an organization that operates like a solid one. We have drafted better, developed players better, been more selective with free agents and trades. That's the formula for success in the NHL - doing most things right and not overloading on one avenue to acquire talent. I'm not saying the Rangers are perfect or making all the right moves but after the Redden signing, I think they've gone about business the right way.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote