View Single Post
Old
08-16-2013, 08:23 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Malone would be a good pickup for the Oilers.

My philosophy would be to spend to the cap max and worry about cap issues when they arise down the line... sure you may have to make some tough choices and cut some decent secondary players because of the cap... but if you have a solid roster in place each season with the right mix of players.. you give the team the maximum chance to actually win and do something instead of playing it safe capwise and staying with a mediocre mix of players.. never fully addressing the obvious holes in the roster.

Look at the Chicago model... always seem to be in some form of cap trouble and shedding some decent players each season but always competitive as well. That's what I'd like the Oilers to do... they can always keep the core together... it's just the secondary players that would have to be moved.
While I agree, I don't know how much it helps us as a whole. I think Schultz is needed on our d just as much as he would be in TB. We aren't dealing from a position of luxury where we have an excess of guys that have played top 4 lately. Now if come the 20 game mark, we realize we don't need him anymore then sure, but with all the wild cards on that back end I'm not trading away a d-man that had half an off year.