Old
08-16-2013, 04:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've already answered your question a few times. I think they usual thing happened: they saw a goon and they overvalued him, like they have for years and years. They made a mistake. It's that simple.
Ok and then this is where I say you have no real basis for your claims of "poor asset management" in relation to this pick. You are saying they overvalued him based on scouting rankings that you have seen. Those rankings are not the same as the rankings of the teams in the NHL. They may be close in some respects, but I would bet you dollars to donuts that every team in the NHL has several players on their list ranked WAY above where anyone else does and way above where they "should" be. That's why there are all-stars and HOFers and the like picked in the later rounds. I'm not saying Ghoul will be a HOFer, obviously, and I have been agreeing that I don't like the pick, but I just don't see how you can call it poor asset management when it is two months after the draft and you have little knowledge of him and little knowledge of the alternatives (outside of a couple of lists and youtube clips you have read).

Quote:
That's the problem...not that they determined he sucked and drafted him anyways; I don't know where you're getting that garbage. The problem is that, by all sources available to us, from the pre-draft guides put together by professional scouts to Goul himself, there was no good reason to take him in the 3rd round. As I've said, it's indicative of a flawed mindset.
See above. Though I would add that the Flyers say he wouldn't have been available later. I know you don't believe it for some reason, but that is what they are saying. And once again you are baseless claiming that there really were no teams interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Oh, and since they compare him to Rinaldo...let's see where Rinaldo was drafted: 178th. So...they see a guy with his upside and instead of waiting until the 5th or 6th round, they take him immediately. They choked.

Hell, eyeballing their stats it looks like Goul even produces at about the same rate Rinaldo did. So it's not like he's even a great improvement on him.
Comparing a drafted player to an NHL player is not saying they should have been drafted in the same place. Although I am sure you would like to skew it that way, Homer wasn't saying he thought Ghoul was a sixth round talent. He is saying he thinks Ghoul could be an effective pest-type player in the NHL. For instance, if a prospect was called Wayne Simmonds 2.0, I don't think that means he is a third round pick. I think that means he will be a solid top nine forward. If you pick him in the first, second, third, fourth, or whenever, if he is Wayne Simmonds 2.0, all you are talking about is his NHL ability, not his draft position.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote