View Single Post
Old
08-18-2013, 08:47 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
While I disagree that McDonagh has never has a bad game, I completely agree that he is the better player now and going forward. That said, while I love Staal, Del Zotto at 23 is better than Staal was at the same age. I don't see any realistic scenario in which the Rangers move Del Zotto, particularly when you factor Staal's injury concerns into the equation. I also don't see any threat to MDZ's place on the team from John Moore. I'm no mind reader, but I can easily imagine the Rangers FO picturing a pair of first pairings-- MDZ/McIlrath and McD/Girardi. I think they've been thinking about that MDZ/McIlrath pair ever since they drafted McI.
The only thing that DZ has an advantage over Staal is offensive production. At 23 he doesn't match Staal at 23 either. And he's not going to get to top pairing as long as either McDonagh or Staal are around and healthy. Staal at 23 was very good in his own end. You have to think about who some of these D are lining up against. Del Zotto doesn't get to see much of Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Tavares, Eric Staal, Kovalchuk. It's guys like Marc Staal, McDonagh and Girardi that face them. They have the size, the strength, the skating (or enough of it in Girardi's case), the defensive aptitude to shut those players down with the help of Lundqvist. Del Zotto's defense isn't bad but it's not great and he's sheltered from playing against the best.

As for the future I don't know. I think someone from the left side D is getting moved this year--one player that's not going to be is McDonagh. Staal would deservedly bring back a much larger package than MDZ. Moore may need more sheltered minutes as well but he's a much better skater and a stronger player than MDZ. I don't see the Rangers moving him until they know exactly what they have. DZ needs to start putting up more offense. That is really his bread and butter and if he is to solidify his spot on the team he needs to get to 50 points anyway. Hearing how he's improving all the time but from his rookie season--37 points to his best season in 11-12--41 points is not much. This is the part of his game where he has the potential to stand out from the rest to the Rangers D corps and he needs to start doing it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote