View Single Post
Old
08-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
No, Staal was selected to the All-Star team when he was 24. Two years older than Del Zotto was last season (MDZ was 22 last season). Staal's 22/23 year old seasons were his 08/09 and 09/10 seasons where he was trying to add offense and his defense suffered as a result. Seriously, were you guys around during those seasons? Staal didn't really become the Staal we know until about halfway through 09/10. He didn't really start adding offense until last year. Don't revise history just because it suits you. Staal is one of my favorite Rangers, but he didn't pop onto the ice as a finished/fully developed player. He had his struggles. The only one of our D that didn't have a lengthy development curve has been McDonagh--that's what makes McD so impressive to me.
Staal was selected to the All-Star Game when he was 23. He played in the All-Star Game when he was 24. He had a birthday in between. Technically, two days before he turned 24. The point is, the selection was based on his work as a 23 year old.

The McDonagh point is funny to me. The guy became a top pairing caliber defenseman in the NHL 5 years after he was drafted. So did Marc Staal. Just because we saw all of Staal's development and missed McDonagh's while he was at Wisconsin and a prospect for a different organization doesn't mean that McDonagh didn't need as much development. Let's not forget that there was a team very down on the guy at one point.

I like Del Zotto and I'm not down on him in any way. But right now, he's a 2nd pairing defenseman. That's just what he is. Could he progress into another level to his game? Of course he can. But until he does, he is what he is.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote