View Single Post
Old
08-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Panda Bear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum17 View Post
I have seen no evidence to suggest that Smid is uncoachable. I would say he is very coachable. He has little to no offensive ability but that isn't because he's uncoachable or refuses to change the way he plays. He's a 2nd pairing defenseman who has been forced into playing on the top pair and has done a respectable job.
I agree that Smid has done a respectable job. His three biggest issues with being on the first pairing are: 1) handling the puck under pressure from great players forechecking him, which means that there is too much pressure on his partner to generate plays from the back; 2) reading the play on free-flowing breakouts; 3) stickwork against topnotch players.

The first issue is surprising given that Smid has very good technique with the puck, but he doesn't have good puck moving instincts to pair with that technique. He panics. I've always wondered if it's a confidence issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Smid is an excellent shutdown guy IMO, and would be most effective paired with J Schultz. I don't care if Smid ever scores another goal again if it allows J Schultz to play like a 4th forward.
While that might be good for Smid, that would be bad for the team.

If you pair Smid with Schultz, then you're left with Ference and Petry. As much as I like Ference's game, I wouldn't trust him to face the toughs like I would with Smid. We need a pairing that can play against the other team's first line, and splitting Smid from Petry doesn't give us a pairing that can do that. We would need to see Schultz improve dramatically on the defensive side of things in order to even consider that.