View Single Post
Old
08-19-2013, 09:18 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Maybe I'm too optimistic, maybe you're too pessimistic. I think it'll all work out. No way of really knowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
The Phillies could turn it around quickly, but they needed to do what the Red Sox did which was a purge and on the fly rebuild. They moved on from AGon, but managed to send out some bad contracts in Beckett and Crawford.

I don't know that the Phillies had the same opportunity for a deal like that, but not moving Lee or Utley is certainly going to extend the losing a little while longer.

Howard is one of the worst contracts in baseball, so the goal should be to be set-up to take the next step when that money gets freed up in 4 years. Should take us at least 2 seasons to start heading in the right direction again.
As I said before, they have a horrible combination of aging, overpaid veterans and little to no major league ready talent in the farm system. The Red Sox had a little bit of luck last year. They dealt with new ownership in LA who had the ability to take on those big contracts. They were probably the only team in the league that could have taken on those contracts. The Red Sox farm system is also one of the best in baseball so when guys go down on the 25-man roster they have a capable replacement and not Michael Martinez. Even if the Phillies conceivably, through some miracle, fielded a solid lineup next year, they wouldn't have the depth to plug the inevitable injuries. I just can't see this team being a contender for the forseeable future.