Old
08-20-2013, 03:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No. I'm not throwing Mez out based on 30 games. I'm throwing him out based on two seasons of constant injury, much of it from routine wear and tear resulting in some major surgeries. I'm also basing it on a younger guy who's still growing, for 1/4 of the cap hit, who has steadily shown he is growing into a roster spot.

Keeping Mez and his cap hit over Gus on the gamble that he won't get hurt again just isn't worthwhile. Especially not with the current cap situation.

Sometimes you have to just let a vet go in favor of someone you've developed. That's just the reality of the cap era. We are spending a disproportionate amount on D as it is. We have a guy who's shown he can function at Mez's level for much cheaper. Meanwhile, Mez has shown he might be going the way of Betts before long. I would be comfortable with Homer gambling on Gus over Mez. Don't get me wrong, I think both are gambles; but I'm gonna go ahead and go with the one who costs significantly less. The difference between the two isn't great enough to go with Mez in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You're missing one major detail & that is both players cap hits, Mez cost you $4M & Gus cost you $1M for next year. On a team that needs some cap space, it's a no brainer to ditch Mez over Gus at this point.
I think you are both missing my points. I am 100% in favor of trading Mez. I have been saying that from the beginning. I wanted to trade him at the draft and I want to trade him now, for many of the reasons you are talking about. He is injury prone and way too expensive. I'm not saying we should trade Gus or that I don't want to trade Mez. I do want to trade Mez. The Flyers need caproom and I think Mez could get a mid round pick in return. That being said, if we can't do that and we have them both on the roster, I'm not going bench Mez just because Gus is younger and cheaper. If both are on the roster come training camp, and both are healthy, Mez is ahead of Gus on the depth chart in my mind. It is his spot to lose. I'm not saying Gus sucks, I'm not saying he shouldn't be considered. If he outplays Mez in camp. Great. I want the best player to play. Not the youngest. Not the best cap hit. The best player. In my mind, that is Mez. Once again, if he is not healthy, or if Gus outplays him, then give the spot to Gus. If we were talking about who I would sign as a UFA, it would be Gus every day of the week because of the injuries and the cap. But if they are both healthy and both on the roster, Gus is behind Mez on the depth chart.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote