View Single Post
Old
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I didn't propose the idea as 'Go out and get him at all costs' or 'multi year deal.' If Brassard and Lindberg go off this year, then awesome.

Assuming Thornton plays at the level he's played at the last 2 seasons, then I think it could pay huge dividends. The two major factors here are IF you can still get all of our current young guys locked up, and IF he would play under a Jagr type of situation. A 1 year deal, possibly do 2 at most. At worst, Thornton would be a nice 2C. I'm looking at a low risk/high reward type of deal. Of course, a team like Florida could come out and offer 4 years for 24 million at which point this discussion is a waste of time. Brassard could also keep up his play from the end of last year, and Lindberg may establish himself as an awesome 3C, but those things are unknown at this point. I'm just speculating on potential situations.

Additional: A young top center would be highly coveted by every team, except maybe Pitt so it would cost a ton to get. If a guy like that goes FA, then you could be paying up to 7-8-9 million a year. I'd love to work out a deal involving MDZ + for RoR, but that's probably pretty unlikely.
Low risk with a name like Thornton does not sound like Sather. That's the worry.

If you can satify the 2 conditions above, I see no reason as to why not to give him a short term deal.