Old
08-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Well, because Laperriere and Talbot didn't/don't have much offensive ability...

Laperriere had one aberration of a year in 05-06, but otherwise, he was an 18-23 point player. Pretty much anyone can put up around 15 points if they're given enough ice time. If Goulbourne can become a solid defensive player who is willing to put his body on the line, I'm sure he'll get enough ice time to chip in 15 points.

It's not the offensive production that brought/brings value to the Laperrieres and the Talbots of the NHL. Again, it was the character and willingness to sacrifice that made them perfect fourth line players. And by most accounts, Goulbourne has similar character.

Don't misconstrue what I am saying as projecting Goulbourne to be Laperriere-- I'm only saying that his upside can be similar to what he brought much the same way as we throw around the word "upside" and "potential" for players like Hagg and Gostisbehere even though, in all likelihood, they will fall short of that ceiling.
I don't think character alone is enough, especially for a 3rd round pick. Cote had loads of character but he still sucked. You've gotta be able to play at some level, and guys like Rinaldo and Goul are pretty handicapped from the start because they lack offensive ability.

Edit: I'm sure there were more talented players with lots of character on the board. Why not take one of them? I just don't get it.