Thread: Confirmed with Link: Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)
View Single Post
Old
08-22-2013, 01:42 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
From Sharks blog Fear the Fin: this piece, from last summer, does a pretty good job of explaining the issues with Douglas Murray, even before his tough 2013:

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/5/24/...douglas-murray
It does? Here's the groundbreaking conclusion it reaches:

Quote:
I'm at a loss to really explain this preciptous drop in Murray's play.
What a revelatory conclusion. The misspelled word really drives their point home. I was moved to tears.

The author continues, suggesting:

Quote:
Put it all together and you've got a defensive defenseman who does more to hurt than help his team when deployed in more difficult defensive situations.
The key here is the words when deployed in more difficult defensive situations. Presumably, the Canadiens are not signing Murray at the end of August on a 1 year/$1.5m contract to deploy him in difficult defensive situations.

If anything, your article confirms what most people here are acknowledging - that Murray's best years are past him, and that he definitely shouldn't be regarded as more than a depth guy. Which I don't think anyone is doing. This article explains that he was bad, not why he was bad.

But if the Canadiens can manage his icetime and match-ups smartly (as the Sharks might have failed to do that year, which is understandable), they can get reasonable value from Murray for the money they spent on him.

Last edited by hototogisu: 08-22-2013 at 01:47 PM.