View Single Post
Old
08-22-2013, 03:06 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
I was tempted to vote for Zetterberg, only to see him get a vote. But 14 people took care of the issue. (Unfortunately, I don't think these were sympathy votes).

I think Zetterberg's an awesome player. Tremendous skill. Tremendous hockey sense. Thrives at multiple positions. Battles hard in the corners. Terrific leader. Put his team on his back late last season. (His play screamed "I don't want to be the captain of the first Red Wings team to miss the playoffs since Jacques Demers was our coach.")

But he's not in Gilmour's class. I campaigned hard around here for Gilmour to be a first-ballot HHOF inductee in 2006; he should have been inducted long before the sixth attempt a couple years ago. His hockey sense was only surpassed by his competitiveness and his intensity. Zetterberg's playoff record is great, but Gilmour was terrific, too, and was among the all-time leaders in playoff points when he retired.

He was the acquisition who helped put the Flames over the top in 88-89; he was the acquisition who completely changed the complexion of the Leafs in 1991-92.

As for Gilmour vs. Fedorov, Fedorov's best year was better than Gilmour's best, but Gilmour was the more consistently elite player. Fedorov could be a frustrating player who sometimes left you wanting more. When was a team ever dis-satisfied with the effort and performance of Gilmour?

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote