View Single Post
Old
08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
That calibre of player is not necessarily required to win a cup. I'm surprised that the Boston Bruins of the past few years haven't raised a few eyebrows. Which top-5 draft pick or elite superstar talent has it been that's made them a cup contender? This is a team that has built itself up because all of their mid-first round and second round picks were well-selected and well-developed.

The Bruins have one superstar player in Zdeno Chara who was a project picked up in free agency. They have a whole host of very effective forwards, but none of them is going to put up 100 points. And they can win games in June.

If you're looking for a model of the kind of team you can put together without tanking, that's it.

I've forgotten what this discussion is about.
Boston has had some of the most elite goaltending in the league for a long time.

While perhaps none of their players are considered elite in terms of points, they have some elite two-way and well-rounded forwards. And they have a lot of those borderline guys between elite and secondary. Marchand, Lucic, Burgeron, Krejci, Seguin (now Eriksson), and Horton are all guys pushing the envelope. I bet some of them would put up elite-level numbers in a purely offensive role.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote