View Single Post
Old
08-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The Rangers offense during the regular season hasn't really been as big of a problem as people claim, in terms of numbers. The year they finished first in the East, they did it because they were 2nd in 3+ goal games in the entire league. They had enough offense, even if it wasn't overwhelming.

The real problem is that during the playoffs, the rest of the teams tighten up and the Rangers had a harder time scoring. The rigidity of the coach's mindset didn't allow for them to push as hard, offensively, as they could have. This caused friction between the team and the coach.

It isn't about the team's offensive capabilities. It's about opening up just enough to score some goals in the playoffs. After watching three playoffs under this coach, I was starting to believe that his system was at fault, by it's very nature. That's why I'm excited about a coaching change, more than anything else.
Exactly. It also felt like Torts required even harder adherence to the system in the POs which made the team more predictable and easier to shut down.

Look at the Rangers-Caps series in 2013, all indications from the regular season was that the Rangers would own, maybe even dominate, even strength play while the Caps would rely on their deadly PP. What happened was that the Caps owned the Rangers 5v5 most of the series. And it was similar throughout the 2012 playoffs, Hank carried us big time.

It seemed like the Tortorella Rangers ability to control the game went into the toilet as soon as the playoffs arrived, and to my eyes it seemed to come from a compete adherence to the system.