View Single Post
Old
08-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They also benefitted from the majority of their biggest rivals lose their best players for long periods of time (Crosby)

The problem is also, there's not confidence in the offense. The team (at least under Torts) was built to play with the lead. If they got down there they started gripping. Torts was right when he said the power play woes took on a life of their own.

Chicken or egg. The system or the talent.
Well, it turns out I misremembered slightly. I went and double checked because I thought I remember the Pens ahead of them. They finished 5th. They hit 3+ 49 times during the regular season. Pittsburgh did it 51 times. Nashville (another deceptive team), Philadelphia, and Vancouver did it 50 times a piece. What's crazy, and kind of goes to your point about playing with the lead, is that the Rangers got 93.9% of the possible points they could've gotten when scoring 3 or more. That's second. The only two other teams over 90% were LA (90.3%, but they were 29th in GF3+) and St Louis (95%, but they were 19th in GF3+). The Rangers had an above average group offensively in the regular season. It was in the playoffs that things changed. Talent doesn't suddenly change in the playoffs, but the ability to use that talent has an effect.

By the way, evolutionarily speaking, the egg came first.