View Single Post
Old
08-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre View Post
Let's now look at how the worst AHL teams compare to their parent clubs in subsequent seasons

2003: Lowell Lock Monster --> 2004-2007 Hurricanes (out of playoffs, no season, Stanley Cup, out of playoffs)
2004: Albany River Rats --> 2005-2008 Devils (no season, 2nd round exit, 2nd round exit, first round exit)
2005 & 2006: Utah Grizzlies & San Antonio Rampage --> 2006-2009 Coyotes (out of playoffs, out of playoffs, out of playoffs, out of playoffs)
2007: Senators --> 2008-2010 Senators (first roud exit, out of playoffs, first round exit)
2008: Rochester Americans --> 2009-2011 Sabres (out of playoffs, first round loss, first round loss)
2009 & 2010: Springfield Falcons --> 2010-2013 Oilers (out of playoffs, out of playoffs, out of playoffs, out of playoffs)
2011: Albany Devils --> 2012-2013 Devils (Lost in Finals, out of playoffs)

So counting 9 seasons of hockey the results are:

13 seasons of missed playoffs
5 first round exits
2 second round exits
1 Stanley Cup finals loss
1 Stanley Cup

This is not so definitive. Looking at my last two posts, I think we can agree that Calder Cups bring nothing to the NHL team, but being a basement dweller in the AHL shows no organizational depth at all. Hopefully we can pull a 2005 Hurricanes!
Some AHL teams win the Calder based on how great their AHL vets are. So of course, it will do NOTHING to the parent club as those AHL vets keeps proving they are not good enough to even keep a regular NHL job. But teams that saw some of their rookies perform well in their situations have seen the same players play a key role for the parent club.

And frankly, I'm not even sure why we talk about winning the Calder Cup. You can be playing in a winning environment and not win a Cup. I think that's more crucial. Yes, okay to have 1 terrible season and learn how to cope with that. But at one point, you want your kids to play in a winning environment as well and then, there are highs and lows even in those seasons. But you need to see them competing and having a winning environment also has to mean, surely, a longer playoff run. Can't be bad.