Old
08-23-2013, 01:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Bolded indicates the underachievers. Boyle, Pyatt, Powe and Asham, if they score a career average in goals gets you another 15 or so, Richards obviously had his head up his ass, Del Zotto struggled, McDonagh, Girardi, Callahan, Hagelin all had stretches where they didn't play very good hockey.
So doesn't this basically support my point that they played better than it actually was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
The point is that last years team certainly wasn't great, and I do believe we're in a better position now, but they also weren't the worst roster ever put together, a lot of the issues had to do with the team not playing how they are capable of playing, and a lot of that had to do with the fact that the players stopped responding to the coach, whose job it is to get his players to play at their potential. They stop listening to you when you scream and call them names? Change your approach and try to get their respect back, or lose your job. Easy choice for most people, admirable trait of Torts is that he doesn't back down from who he is and believes it's the "right way" I respect him, but it's also his Achilles heel.
It wasn't the worst roster. But I didn't see a lot awful lot of offensive talent that just looked stymied. Richards is obviously on the downside of his career (not sure how a coach solves that). Zuccarello neds to prove he can hold up to the wear and tear of a full season (not sure how a coach solves that). Nash, Stepan and Brassard managed to be pretty effective.

Rather than hoping someone like Richards plays up to his potential and getting more from the likes of Boyle and Pyatt the two more pressing questions to me are: 1) has Derek Stepan turned the corner and is a legit #1 C now? and 2) Is Derick Brassard the guy he was in Columbus or the guy who played the best hockey of his career down the stretch?