View Single Post
Old
08-24-2013, 12:33 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
I don't want to derail this thread but that's irrelevant. They're not the same franchises, regardless of how many people with inferiority complexes in the Ottawa region believe otherwise.

Maybe the Colorado Avalanche should honour jerseys from the Colorado Rockies.

edit: I'm not dismissing the original Senators' legacy but for the current Sens to claim any link to it is extremely disingenuous.
you're thinking about this in a more black and white way than really is useful, i think. it's about the city's hockey history and what that means to the fanbase (which has NOT moved) not the real legal ties btw franchises.

when a team moves or folds, that history and what those players did in those cities is lost (goulet and stastny in quebec city, e.g.). so for the new winnipeg jets to, say, honour hawerchuk or bobby hull or nilsson and hedberg and sjostrom saves important history that threatened to eventually be forgotten due to a bunch of financial deals by a bunch of millionaires.

so i mean the question is what do you want to acknowledge as motivating the history you choose to memorialize: the real and meaningful bond between a city's fans and the players they cheered on, or real estate transactions and tax shelter shenanigans by the 1%?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote