View Single Post
Old
08-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 500
NYR Forward Chemistry 2012-13

Finding the HA’s With Or Without You (WOWY) charts fascinating, I thought maybe I could make some use of them to see which forwards found true chemistry last year.

I chose to define chemistry as both players were better together than they were apart. 150+ minutes are marked with CAPITAL letters, 50-150 minutes are marked with lower case letters. Inconclusive chemistry or too few minutes were left blank. The observed stats were goals for %, and Corsi for %.

Chart based on zone start adjusted data courtesy of hockeyanalysis.com

The chart does not account for magnitude of chemistry or one-sided improvement effects.

Conclusions:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash was just a filthy line, and breaking them up didn’t really work.

We need at least 2 Carl Hagelins on this team – he showed incredible chemistry with three different players and improved almost every partners stats, but some of them pulled his down.

Brad Richards and Ryan Callahan were a trainwreck together. 40.8 CF% and 16.7 GF%!!! Callahan-Nash wasn't as bad, or even that bad (58.3 GF%, 50.2 CF%), but they were both better off without each other in both aspects.

Ryan Callahan didn’t seem to mesh well with skilled players and played better with grinders.

Pyatt worked surprisingly well with a few players, but were downright awful with others. Small sample size or a player who needs specific deployments? Seems to mesh well with skilled guys, maybe he can still be a 3rd line option?

Kreider and Miller actually played fantastic together, but abysmally apart. Small sample size or is there really something there?

Zuccarello played way too few minutes to make an impact on the chart, but he seemed to be abe to play with anyone. When he and Brad Richards were on the ice together for 130 minutes the Rangers scored 90.9% of the goals, staggering figure.

Additional thoughts?

Last edited by Blue Blooded: 08-26-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote