View Single Post
08-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Roof Daddy
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Smyth as a 13th forward coming into the lineup for injuries and/or for forwards in Eakin's doghouse (and I expect there will be some)... is a fine role for Smyth. 100% chance this is his last season and to have him play as a utility/role player for this last season is something I'm ok with... in fact with limited minutes and fewer games I think he can put up a decent performance.

I just hope if a big series of injuries hit... he isn't pushed high up into the lineup. He needs to stay on the 4th line at best.
I'm thinking the same thing. IF he works his ass off this off-season (knowing Eakins demand of high fitness), and IF this allows him to keep up to the higher paced game plan Eakins will surely implement, he could be useful on the 4th line with (currently) Lander/Acton and Brown, but never playing in back to backs (Joensu subbing in).

Bigger questions are whether he can accept this role. Last year there was a media ****storm the first time he was a healthy scratch when it was widely accepted he was a 4th liner. The healthy scratch in back to back games would need to be established by Eakins (with Smyth's endorsement) to the media before regular season got underway.

In that role I think he could be an effective 4th liner.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote