View Single Post
Old
08-27-2013, 03:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Tortorella is bringing the same system to Vancouver

Quote:
How many shots will the Sedin twins block? -- One of the things Tortorella will ask the Sedins to do is block shots. Last season Henrik blocked nine, while Daniel blocked seven.

"I'll tell you right now, they're going to kill penalties, and if they're going to kill penalties they're going to block shots," Tortorella said. "Do I expect to turn them into an ex-player of mine, a Ryan Callahan (66 blocked shots last season)? Absolutely not. But if you're going to play proper defense, that has to be part of the equation."

As a team, the Canucks blocked 566 shots, ranking them 27th in the NHL; the Rangers were sixth with 773 blocks.

"I think shot blocking is part of playing good defense," Tortorella said. "I think it's part of play to get the puck back. So it's not just the Sedins. I think a team takes on a whole mindset of being a harder team to play against, a team that'll play along the boards, a team that'll give themselves up to get the puck back, defend the proper way. It does, it permeates through your team.

"So that is going to be asked, of not just the Sedins, but everybody, because I think that's the proper way to play the game when you don't have the puck."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679528

Tortorella is bringing Rangers grind it out and stone-age hockey to Vancouver. He isn't bringing back safe is death from TB days.