View Single Post
Old
08-27-2013, 04:48 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Fair point, I am not sure where to stand on this issue. The talk about how it hurt us offensively to give up the points when playing defense. Is that really the case? Maybe we were too extreme, but in general that is the best modern way to play defense today. I don't think you loose much offense. Maybe we over did it, maybe we did not.

We were extremely stone ages in our transition game under Torts. No creative play whatsoever before we got below the hash marks (unles we like picked a puck of a D and got a odd man rush from the get go). It was among the worst seen in the game. As Mattias Norstrom put it commenting a game for Swedish TV: "I've never seen a team as afraid of passing the puck as NYR". He played his entire career during the trapping era.

But was our defense really a problem? Nah. We have all the room in the world to improve our offense with the puck. Maybe marginal improvements can be made by not collapsing too low. But that is marginal.
This is spot on and one of the fairest assessments I've seen.