Thread: Rumor: Gagner New Captain?
View Single Post
Old
08-28-2013, 01:55 PM
ogorr

vCash: 692
When I consider the possible candidates I can really only identify 3 maybe 4 that are part of the core, have some history with the club and display (at least from a fans perspective) some leadership qualities.

1. Hall
2. Eberle
3. Gagner
4. Smid (maybe)

Ference is a good leader with a solid resume and likely would be a good captain but stepping into a new room as the captain may disturb the dynamics already in place so for this reason I did not consider him, at least not at this point in time. His position likely as an assistant however will be an invaluable resource to Gagner.

The young kids as a group have taken over the identity and culture of this room over the last couple of years and I think management realizes the need to encourage and harness this. They are all very open and direct about how they see the oilers moving forward and I wouldn't have a problem with any of the 3 forwards listed to be named captain. Saying that though when you think about the off ice contributions I think Gagner really separates himself from the other 2 (simply by way of experience). I also believe last year he had Schultz living with him helping show him how to be professional in every facet of the game and life as he did with Horcoff when he first came here (i.e. training, eating, being a professional). These areas of development, while subtle and definitely secondary to the room and team, are important factors in growing the young talent and establishing the right culture. I would suggest that if for example Nurse was to make the team, who would you prefer him to board with as an 18yr old. I would pick Gagner over Hall for this every day of the week right now.

While I never gave thought to Gagner as a potential captain I actually don't mind this one bit and think he would make a good captain. I also trust MacT evaluation of character and leadership, he likely knows more about Gagner than anyone else in the organization.