View Single Post
Old
08-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think the biggest barrier for Ghost is going to be his size. He may well have the tools to be a successful NHL player, but at sub six feet and 170 pounds, he will have a tough time hanging with the players five inches taller and fifty pounds heavier. There is a reason that players his size are few and far between in the NHL. You have to be truly talented or have some sort of special skillset to overcome such a big size difference.

Aside from Brian Rafalski, who are some successful NHL defensemen around the size of Ghost? I'm not saying they don't exist, only that I can't think of any right now. His size is the reason that I am not nearly as high on him as most of you are.
Ghost will fill out a bit. There are smaller D all over the league. Many listed at 6' who are definitely not.

Besides Timonen, Streit and Gus on the Flyers, Karlsson, Boyle, Goligoski, Campbell, Visnovsky, Ryan Ellis, Hickey, Krug, Liles, White, Diaz, Bouillon, Vatanen and Kris Russell are very small. There is room in the league for small Dmen, and some of the above are all stars too.

I don't worry about his size. If you can play, you can play. I've only seen the WJC games, but the guy I compare his style (not level) to his WJC coach, Phil Housley. Really skinny, smooth and fast.

If you are as mobile as he is, you can play enough D that your puck moving and carrying outweighs being overpowered occasionally, that's OK. It helps if you have a D partner who can help with moving guys etc.