View Single Post
Old
08-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
not that I don't disagree, but lots of people kind of felt that way re: Jason Smith/Ryan Smyth. Although Gator was always the undisputed leader... even though the heart and soul of the team for a bulk of the mediocre years was Smitty... as fans we don't truly know what's going on behind the scenes, what the discourse and dynamics are between the players, coaches and management...
Jason Smith would bleed on the ice and is most comparable to Smid except he was tougher and more physical. Smyth would constantly get crosschecked and hacked at by brutes like Derian Hatcher, get up and go get some more. You tell me how Gagner fits in with either of those guys? Hall is the guy that takes the hits to make plays, the guy that tries to force the play when nothing else is working. The guy that throws the big hit when we need a spark. Gagner might be a swell guy, but IMO Hall, RNH and Eberle are ahead of his for the C and so would Smid be. I'd have it:

Hall, Eberle, Smid, RNH. RNH could've been higher if not for his injury plagued season last year. Gagner is from the Horcoff school of Captains, we've seen enough of those types of captains going back to Moreau's last years here.