View Single Post
Old
08-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Why weren't his wingers being aggressive enough for contested draws? If he had better support on his faceoffs for the loose puck, his numbers would've looked better (maybe around 46-47%).

The wingers played high to the points, the defence played man-to-man instead of zonally and the centres were tasked with playing board-to-board instead of dot-to-dot in the defensive zone.

Only RNH, an on-ice genius with beautiful stickwork who deservedly went first overall in 2011, managed to keep his head above water in that system--and he benefited from Taylor Hall regularly ignoring our defensive scheme.

I'm not going to pretend that Gagner is some amazing defensive player, but just as the centre impacts his teammates the most on the ice...so too are centres the most impacted by teammates on the ice. If everyone's running around or not getting involved, you're not going to look good.

"But what about previous seasons?"
You mean when we had an even worse collection of players?
Kreuger's moronic system certainly didn't help nor did playing a significant amount of time with Yak and Hemsky early in the year.

But he was underwater with a relatively strong defensive winger in MPS too.

I like Sam as a scoring winger on most teams but I can count the number of cycles he has broken up on one hand.