View Single Post
Old
08-30-2013, 03:13 AM
ChadS

vCash: 500
I wouldn't be too worried about a kid who just turned 19 being over confident, as long as he keeps working hard and developing his game. If he wants to play with the Wings, he'll eventually figure it out and mature.

I think this was the first article I've read in which he speaks like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Did you see the game? If so, what were your thoughts on Melen?
It's tough to make a lot of conclusions on a guy you've never seen before based on one game, but a couple of things:

- They basically rolled all four lines on PP and PK but he played LW on their "2nd line" and ran the line's PP. Also had some PK time but that didn't go so well (2 PP goals when he was on the PK). I think they lost 6-4 (no scoreboard on the stream), didn't have points but I think he was a +1.
- Big frame but obviously needs to gain a lot of weight. Gave the D-men a couple of hits and didn't shy away from contact, but not overly physical.
- Good passer, hard and accurate. Can't remember him shooting the puck at all. Skating was good for his size but will probably get better with more strenght training.
- Didn't like his effort level, or then his conditioning was weak. Rarely backchecked and just looked lazy most of the time. And when the effort was there, he pretty much did what he wanted, especially with the puck.

So based on that game, I'd say there's a lot of potential and liked him as a project but the major concerns for me were his size/strenght and effort level. Thankfully they've got 4 years to sign him.