View Single Post
Old
08-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Really? I've played enough to know that any "momentum" shift is due to coaching strategy or opposition over-confidence (sitting back on a lead) or luck. Usually a combination.

But if you want to believe that momentum is some sort of metaphysical ubiquitous force that teams can collectively tap at will like some sort of mass epiphany...
It's enough collective confidence to temporarily stem/reverse the immediately preceding flow of the game, and it's not that difficult, nebulous, or metaphysical a concept. And why would you assume that anyone would describe it as something that could be "collectively tapped"? The entire idea of momentum is that it CAN'T be called upon, and is observed, rather, in the difference in results whatever the method(s) or strategy, but obviously stemming from difference in confidence (-> execution) levels on different sides of the ice.

But I'm noticing that there's a greater comfort using the word "confidence", so am I to assume that there is a scientific method for measuring confidence (or its impact), predicting/controlling it's manifestation, or "tapping it at will"?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote