View Single Post
Old
08-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Call it irrational, call it semantics, and call it psychological momentum if the distinction helps the cause. As someone who has experienced it as a member of countless sports teams, I won't be psycho-babbled out of the belief that certain chains of events which can simultaneously deflate one team and encourage another team to the point that "regular" execution of both teams' systems results in an observably different game flow than "normal", or before the event(s). We know that players hold their sticks tighter than normal, get rid of pucks quicker than normal in the face of forechecks, and hold onto pucks longer than normal trying to make perfect shots/passes, when facing the pressure that comes with fighting against another team's surge in momentum.

I mean, everyone has heard commentators say something along the lines of "they're really pressing now", or "Team X is really back on their heels now", or something referring to "pressure". Why weren't these professional players ALWAYS trying that hard, or why are they having so much harder of a time now? Why does the play look so different all of a sudden? Confidence? Confidence impacts execution, and simultaneous (related) improvement of execution on one side and worsening of execution on the other can fuel something that could be defined as momentum one way, as far as I'm concerned. Heavy emphasis on the word can.
You are basically supporting my claim but won't let go of the term "momentum". I have acknowledged that a phenomenon exists and have clearly explained and defined it for you. Your adherence to this word doesn't appear to be very rational.

Momentum is defined as p= m(v). It is implied within the definition that momentum must have mass and must be in motion. Because we can not assign any physical metrics to a term that requires physical traits to be measured....it does not appear to exist following any rational thought process. At best it is simply a slang term used to describe shifts in the product of confidence between two opposing forces.

You can call it momentum, you can call it Shirley....it doesn't matter because it is just a meaningless term that is being used to describe a known phenomenon.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote